Online Journal of my adventures in Europe

Thursday, April 14, 2005

On the new household, work, and Jiu Jitsu

Hello people

It's been awhile since I wrote. Abandoning the day by day review this time since nothing intense happened every day for the last 2 weeks. Instead, I will just some out down some highlights and thoughts.

The 2nd Generation

It’s been a couple weeks now, and things are settling into routine. By that I mean all the new people have adjusted, and I’m growing into the role of the omniscient all knowing one. Haha, just kidding.

Truthfully, we have a good mix at our house now, even though we had a distinct Asian flavour (2 Chinese, 2 Japanese, and a Serbian). Someone has taken the role of “mom” of the household (I won’t directly say who, but your have 3 guesses), while I have the laid back leadership style. Unfortunately, most of us are not going to reception weekend this month due to finances. It’s too bad since it would have been a good experience for the new kids. For me, it’s been a pricey month since I had to pay for transportation to Austria next month. Also, tuition for Dutch class was due this month, and that was 120 Euros. So, in good responsible judgement, I’m not going to Antwerp this month as originally planned. It would be wise to save the 60-80 Euros I would have otherwise spent.

There is still a bit of sadness out there that now that Jose, Eric, and Sol have left us. But I get to manage the second generation now and it will be with this group that I will ultimately spend the most time with.


Work

I came out of a good meeting with my boss yesterday. I now have some new objects for the next little while so I’ll be nice and busy. I have to help set up a workshop this project we’re working on for the insurance board. What that means for me is that I’ll be creating several large PowerPoint presentations and writing up some briefing papers for the uninformed.

Jiu Jitsu

I started taking Martial arts lessons =)

Martial arts were always something I was interested in taking, possibly due to my mom’s fears when I was a kid that I would use what I learnt to hurt others (maybe rightfully so…). I chose Jiu Jitsu since it was the most practical of the other arts being offered at the university since it is based on real world scenarios. In a real fight situation, it’s not going to be like the movies, and most fights are fought and won in a matter of seconds. No time for fancy kicks or Ninja death moves, instead, lots of grappling and ground work. In real life, you also wouldn’t have full head, chest, shin, and arm protection (no offence to the people that are taking tak wan do). I’m not in it to pick fights with people; instead, it’s more of the confidence that the knowledge brings. I will know what my abilities are and what I can and can’t do. Also, by having learnt how to take a punch, I rather have the knowledge and not need it, then needing it and not knowing how. There are several girls taking the class for the very same reasons

For my worried parents, it’s mostly on a self-defence and emphasis on escaping and getting away from a situation (although that is made much easier if you can take out their knees in the process).Also, the chances of using it in real life here are very slim. I have a greater chance of being pick pocketed then being involved in a violent confrontation. Besides, rule #1 is never be a hero.

The other reason is that it is great exercise. I’m still feeling it this morning and my stomach and arms haven’t been this stiff since I started playing competitive volleyball. The warm ups to class, while nothing like SAS training, is still pretty through, and my rather large ego helps me through the various push ups, sit-ups, and other strengthening exercises. I was able to keep up with everyone. The other fortunate thing, the Sensei (at least that’s what I think I should call him) is comfortable in teaching in English, even if I’m the only one that’s not Dutch.

Class is relatively safe, and the teacher shows us a technique, and we practice it. Everything is done slow, and all egos are in check. At my first time, I learnt various ways methods to escape from being grabbed at the wrist. I also learnt how to escape if someone knocked me down from behind by disabling their knee and ankle in order for me to escape. Again, all of this was learnt in a safe and controlled manner.

So that’s the top things I could think of writing, as I’m sitting here on my lunch break.

I’ll write and put up more pictures soon

LEs

1 Comments:

Blogger Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Hi Les,

Martial arts?! Cool - you can tell your parents you're now old enough and responsible enough to handle your new skills.

I would definitely put my (future) kids in martial arts so that they have the ability to defend themselves. What I would've given to have known martial arts in junior high - I would have kicked the *hit out of those bullies and they would've deserved it!

6:20 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home