Online Journal of my adventures in Europe

Sunday, May 15, 2005

A Fan’s Dream Come True

When I got back to Benni’s apartment after a day of watching hockey, Benni told me that there were two new trainees that have arrived and that they and an AIESEC person were at this café behind the university at the Hofgarten (a park). Since I never met any of them before, Benni described what I looked like, gave me directions, and I was on my way. What he neglected to mention was that there 500 people there and it was more of a dance place then a café. I looked around, but I couldn’t find them. It was already late (2345) and started to rain so I was about to walk home again. In the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of this one guy that looked a lot like Roberto Luongo, one of Team Canada’s backup goaltender. The more I stared, the more and more I realised that the guy doesn’t just look like him, but he was him. To be sure, I went through the crowds towards him, feigning like I was looking for someone, in an effort to over hear if he was talking German or English. I heard English and something about Canada, it was him! At that point, my finely tuned senses spotted other players from Team Canada. Wade Redden, Robin Regehr, Marty Turco, Mike Fisher, Sheldon Souray, Dany Heatley, and Gord Miller from TSN were all in attendance at this party. After asking Regehr for an autograph and trying to make mall talk (it is really hard to act cool around famous people), I spied someone I thought was Joe Thornton. It turned out it was his older brother, Alex. I introduced myself, and when Alex found out I was Canadian as well, he welcomed me with open arms. Alex helped me get autographs and photos with all the players in attendance. Alex is a really nice guy and we chatted about various stuff and had a drink or two. Along with Alex, I was hanging out with Mike Fisher’s older brother (Mark?) and this Italian mate I met. I also met 2 members of the Austrian National Women’s curling team. I had a really good time and the members of team Canada are all really nice and I wish them the best in the tournament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home