Online Journal of my adventures in Europe

Monday, February 07, 2005

Reception Weekend in Maastricht

Hello

It was a fun carnival weekend in Maastricht. I left with Marcel on Saturday morning and we proceeded to drive to Maastricht. I got to go into Germany, since it is quicker to use the autobahn to drive South, and Maastricht is at the very tip of the Netherlands and surrounded by Germany and Belgium to the East and West. I learnt my very first German word since I got here, "Ausfahrt." I was Marcel's navigator and map reader and I kept seeing this city name on an arrow all along the autobahn and was a little confused since Ausfahrt didn't appear on the map. I also figured it was a big city since the exit for it was everywhere. Marcel then told me "Ausfahrt" wasn't a city name, but actually "Exit" in Germany, hence I saw it all the time on the autobahn =)
The autobahn wasn't that spectacular as I thought. I think I had visions of the autobahn when I was in Canada as a really big highway with lots of really nice cars speeding. After driving on it (well, Marcel not me), it really just another highway, and I didn't see too many uber nice cars (although I saw a few nice Audis, a Porche, and a whole lot of BMWs).
After 2.5 hours, we arrived in Maastricht. It was like Mardi Gras (from what I've heard) since the whole city was full of ppl all dressed up. Actually, it was more like Halloween, but with happy costumes instead of scary. I learnt that the carnival originated as a religious holiday, and represents the last opportunity to drink and party before the start of lent and the 40 days of where ppl give up their vices. Also, it has to do with a Prince and a King, but I never got the full story behind that. Anyways, it really isn't a religious event anymore, and it is just a big 1 week long party (like the commercialisation of Christmas).
We were met by an AIESEC trainee from Australia who has been in Maastricht for several months now. We dropped off our bags at another AIESECers house and proceeded to meet at the local student pub where we were provided lunch. After lunch and chatting with AIESECers from all over the Netherlands (and Trainees too), we were divided into small groups and started a walking tour of Maastricht. Maastricht is a very nice city, and kind of reminds me of Calgary, since a river divides the city in 2. There are also a number of nice bridges that span the river. The city also has a lot of old churches and historical buildings that required the attention of my camera. It is also interesting to note that the people in Maastricht speak a different dialect of Dutch (actually, the dialect is just called "Maastricht"), and most of my AIESEC friends can't understand it, so I wasn't alone anymore in the language gap. After the tour, we met the local AIESEC ppl (so that would be Local committee Maastricht ), who organised this reception weekend (every LC organises one about every month or so). With the 150 AIESECers who are signed up to come this weekend, we were divided into groups and would sleep over at one of the LCs' or Maastricht Trainees' houses. I slept over at Martine's (sp?) along with 9 other ppl. We went to our assigned houses to get changed into our costumes and went to dinner.
Originally, I was going to go as a member of the crazy 88 (from the film "Kill Bill") so I had a black mask, a sword, and my black jacket with white dress shirt. However, the girls put on a mustache for me and a scar, so I looked more like a cross between an Asian Zorro and James Bond. Dinner was good, and in my opinion better then the food at the NATCOII. There was chicken wings, Samosa, Calamari, Meatballs, Chicken Satay, salad and bread. Also the local beers here are called Brand and Gulpener and both of them are very good (which is a bad thing because I'm suppose to like Grolsht better). After dinner, we went back to the pub, where we were at for lunch earlier that day, for a dance. It was hot as 150 stuffed into small club. At least drinks were free, and I had my fair share of Heinekin (I didn't get drunk or have a hangover the next day). I mainly hung around Marcel, Mizu, Peter, and these two girls I met from LC Wageningen (Central Netherlands). Actually, I hung out with a lot more ppl then that, but there are just too many to name (so sorry for those who are reading and I didn't mention you).
I didn't sleep that well when I finally did get to bed. The new sleeping mat I bought turned out to be really uncomfortably and it partially deflated on me during the night. Same does for the inflatable pillow. I'll probably go return those two items later this week (although the sleeping bag I got on sale was pretty good).
The next day, we went to go watch the parade. I took lots of pictures during the 2 hours of so that I was there. There were plenty of Marching bands, floats, ppl in crazy costumes, drag queens, confetti throwing people..Etc. It was a good experience. We left around 4 to go back home. Since we drove, we'll be home a lot quicker then the rest who are taking the train. Got home, unpacked, got take out (no food at home), and went to bed
It was a really good weekend, and I have to go back to Maastricht again since it was really a beautiful city. Took a lot of pictures too, so I have to choose the few I'll put up. I also have to get a new battery for my camera soon. It's getting to the end of it's life since it only lasts 30min or less on full charge ( I get a battery warning 5 min after I first start), and the charger finishes charging after only 20min
I'll write more stories later. Tonight is Solimon's Farewell party, so we'll be having a dinner party at our place tonight. I'll write another (shorter) update and post pictures later tonight.


LEs

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like you had lots of fun! :) And those pictures are pretty cool :)
Maggie

5:13 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home