A Very Sad Day =(
Yesterday was a very sad day =(
First, it was the day that Solimon left the country. A group of us went to see him off at the airport. Unlike Calgary, the journey to the airport is a 2 hour train ride one way. So I pretty much spent the day on the train back and forth. That's okay though, it was good to see him off.
Secondly, I got home in time at 7pm to watch the live news conference (via internet) where the NHL season was officially cancelled. Not taking anything away from Solimon leaving (b/c it won't hit me till the weekend), but even though it was pretty obvious that there wasn't going to be a season, I think most people were still sad when the announcement was made. After watching countless hours of analysis on TSN and other news sites, I blame both sides and like 1 commentator said, "There is no moral high ground when you both jump off a cliff."
The owners, this was there mess to fix. This was a system that they created, and they had 10 years of bad choices such as 9 expansion teams in 9 years, The idea that you can sign 30 high end players to buy your way to a successful team, bad leases on stadiums, inflating demands well above the level of supply. Once, they realised that they were in bad economic shape, they turn around and blame the players and try to implement essentially an idiot proof system. Also, I think what the NHL wants has merit, but in the long run. Bettman said they weren't looking for a quick fix, but their proposals have been exactly that. It is quite a drastic step to demand 42 million cap, since there are several teams that are going to have a hard time coming down from it. If they truly wanted the players to accept it, maybe have 42 million as the end goal, but start out on a scale like 50million the first year, and gradually reduce down to the 42 million mark after 5-8 years.
The players are going to get screwed anyways no matter what the outcome of the new deal is. In some ways, I feel the most for the players. They did offer some significant compromises in a bid to end the lockout. However, the players did have it good in during the last couple years. Their salaries increased exponentially, million dollars contracts are more a norm now then before. Arbitration bias and the threat of withholding their services were all tools in the player's arsenal to get more money. So, it is obvious that the owners proposal will take that all the way. Like I said, they will be screwed over, but is what the owners asking really that bad?, at the costs of canceling the season? Caps already exist in several major professional sports and only 10 players are paid over 7 million a year. Even if the average salary drops from 2.7 mill to something like 1 million, a fourth liner can still be making 400,000, which is really comfortable. Not to mention that travel costs and equipment are paid for, it is still a really good salary. Besides. Linkage works both ways and if popularity of the sport increases, then they get paid more. Recent signs like the success of Nashville ( a city not really known for hockey) or the incredible playoff run by the flames, the Olympics, and other tournaments have all increased the profile of hockey. By rejecting offer after offer, the players are not going to get a better deal. Especially if linkage is back on the owners demands, players are going to make even less now, thanks to the loss of revenue from this year. So, it wasn't in the players best interest to make less and less, when they could have took a 42 million dollar cap and played this season.
On both sides finally, I just blame the whole negotiations process. It can be argued that both sides didn't start negotiations until this weekend, and it was already too late. Both sides spent the last 4 months giving presentations to one another and calling each other names. Also, find a way so both sides can agree on the financial numbers and get rid of that area of mistrust.
In conclusion, although I expected that the season would be cancelled, it doesn't make it any better when it was. Both sides are treading into a uncertain world and I think neither side is going to get a better deal. Recent polls have suggested that many people have become apathetic to hockey, and won't miss it as much as the players and owners may think. For me, I don't really miss it really bad but I still wish I could have watched hilights every night, and keep track how the Flames are doing. When I go to www.calgaryflames.com, and watch the playoff summaries of the flame's run, I still get goosebumps. I think of what could have been this year, and how the new addition of players will affect the team. Could Calgary have taken the cup in 4 straight from the leafs this year? These questions will never be known. Right now, both sides have better sit down, and use this time to craft a deal both sides can live with so there will be hockey again next year
That's all for now
LEs

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home