Online Journal of my adventures in Europe

Sunday, January 16, 2005

First Full day & All Night Party

Hey People

Things are alright here. I now have a bike. Because the Netherlands is so flat, the ppl here all bike and it's the main form of transportation around town. We went to this apartment to meet some ppl that sells bikes were cheap. It's kinda of a sketchy outfit, but it's wear the bargains are. They didn't have any male bikes at the time (where 1 bar frame is horizontal, and the other slopes down), but I was able to pick out the most non-fem bike there was. It only cost me 35 Euros (for a new bike can be as much as 200 Euros), and the person will call us if they get any male bikes in, and I would be able to trade up. I'll post the picture of my bike shortly.

Now that I got my wheels, I went to the supermarket to buy some food. The way it seems to work in the household is that we are each responsible for our own breakfast and lunch. For dinner, we all alternate making dinner for everyone each night. I can see the importance of language laws in Canada. Everything is the super market is in Dutch. I managed to buy lunch stuff and pick up the right type of milk (as in whole milk and half milk). I also managed to get myself a Dutch Bank account so I'll be able to use that now. The only weird thing is that they no longer accept traveler's cheques so I have to find a place to cash it in and deposit the money into my account that way. Also, Safety deposit boxes aren't that common so I have to buy a safe or something to keep my air tickets and passport safe.

Last night, after an extended drinking session (I had Dutch beer, a liquor they mix with coke, and some rum + coke), Solimon, Eric (both live with me) and Etienne (AIESEC guy) went out to the clubs in Enshede. We left around midnight and proceeded to this popular place in Enshede. It was packed with people. Beautiful girls everywhere (the land of the tall, blonde, and blue eyed). The bar itself was neat in that it was a revolving bar, so you can go around the bar area of the club without moving at all. The music was also interesting was that they play all kinds of music you can dance to, but the songs change every 30 seconds. Good times! We left to go to another club, Club Elite (didn't catch the name of the first place we went to) which was much more quieter and as we found out, you had to buy a minimum of 1 drink. We bought our drinks and left back to the first place. One thing that was cool on our night out was that there was no cover in each of the places we went to (although technically, we did have to buy a drink at the second place). Also, the bar tenders are all guys (wearing really short shorts at the first place). However, there were shooter girls at the first place. We biked home at about 0400. Good Night =)

It is a quiet day today. Got up at 1 pm. Going to spend the day preparing for work tomorrow. Should be alright but I wanna make sure I'm all ready.
I'll write more later

Later

LEs

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie!! Glad that you arrived, and are settling in alright :) Sounds like you are having tons of fun already - good for you! :) I hope you get used to the small living spaces there, but I guess that's Europe for you. As for the bike thing, just think of this, if nothing else you will end up in great shape :)
Good luck at work :)
Maggie.

3:23 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home